Monday, September 22, 2008

Martí: "Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillado"

Firstly, I will agree with the sentiment expressed by other students that this was a challenging reading assignment. His stories took me a great deal more time than they would have were they written in English, but I suppose that is what one can expect from SPAN 322. And admittedly, I believe his work was worth the effort required in reading it. 
I find it interesting that the majority of my fellow students seem to be riffing on the 'heavy-on-the-description' vein, because this was not the first thing I noticed about the 'Escenas Norteamericanas' that Martí wrote about. After constulting the Wikipedia article (it could use some work!), I learned about his past as an exiled revolutionary and Cuban national hero. There was a surprising discrepancy between his wonderment at facets of the North American lifestyle, and his work as a diplomat and revolutionary. Overall, one would not expect this level of scientifically-based dedication to a structure (El Puente De Brooklyn) from someone who is a vocal freedom fighter. He lobbied, and indeed died for, such causes as Cuba's independence from Spain and an end to racism. 
   Overall, my impression garnered from Martí's writings combined with his political and personal history is that he was a man of resolute ideals and a very strong mind. I think, as a political hero, Martí is a fine role model for anyone who desires mass change- he fought both physically and intellectually, using the international battlefield of North American diplomacy in addition to waging war (and losing his life) in Dos Ríos, Cuba. 

3 comments:

Jon said...

There is lots of detailed description here, especially perhaps in the article about the Brooklyn bridge, but I'd argue that in the end the details don't matter particularly. What's important (and this is what connects with his political work) is that Martí sees huge social changes at work in the United States. The bridge (and Coney Island, too) is a symptom or reflection of that. If you want to change the world, Martí is suggesting, you also have to understand it.

Nicole said...

I think sometimes stories tell more about their author and the time it was written. Liberty was a pressing concern for Cuba during the time it was written.

Kaan said...

Hi Leanna,

I think you bring up very interesting points. I find it curious that his descriptive ability wasn't the first thing that came to your mind when you read his stories.

For me it was the opposite, and that was the first thing that came to mind. Not having read too much of Marti prior to this class, I can say that I think he was an American patriot. Yes, he was exiled from Cuba and clearly was still very passionate about it. But I think he discovered his love for this new country. Although he was forced to live in the United States, he was clearly happy and fascinated with whatever he was doing, even that maybe simply observing everyday life.

Good observations.