Sunday, October 19, 2008

Woman Hollering Creek

     Sandra Cisnero's collection Woman Hollering Creek: and other stories is, first of all, quite wonderful. I can understand why it is a commonly studied text in universities, and why it was chosen for our class. Other than How the García Girl Lost Their Accents (my wiki article), this is my favorite text thus far. Of course, the English enhances my experience somewhat.
While the topic of feminism and the role of the Chicana has been discussed in relation to almost everything we've studied thus far, Woman Hollering Creek most directly addresses women.  I like how the book is a collection of stories; this literary method allows the reader to identify with more than one or two characters. Also, the commonality of experience between the women makes the issues raised of larger importance. I think that this book is fairly politically charged, and will lead to excellent discussion in class. 
   Cisnero's voice, while varying amongst the individual stories, usually maintains a clear, simplistic tone. I don't mean this as a criticism, in fact I enjoy how openly she explores issues like domestic abuse, class stratification and accidental pregnancy. Too often, in literature and public discourse, these topics are euphemized to nothingness  but Cisneros brings them to the forefront through her many characters and their stories. 

No comments: